Perlite is volcanic glass without shape that is from snowy white to grayish white in color with a high water content and the unusual characteristic of having the ability of increasing its volume from 4 to 20 times when heated to just the right temperature. Typically this is above 1600 F. Chemically, it's inert and has a pH of around 7. The US is both the largest consumer and producer of this non-renewable resource that is mined.
In 2010, estimated perlite consumption in the US was as shown in the table:
|53%||building construction products|
- Aeration and drainage
- Sterile Rooting Medium - stimulates root initiation
- Hydroponics - Excellent media with superb results
- Neutral pH & Sterile
- Weed-free & Disease-free - good for seedlings
- Carrier for fertilizer, herbicides, & pesticides
- Clean, odorless, lightweight & safe to handle
- Serves as insulator to reduce extreme soil temperature fluctuations
- Does not deteriorate
- Holds moisture without getting soggy
Good Perlite Links:
I also planted a little basket of lavender, parsley seeds and chive seeds after work today. It made me happy. Let's watch and see how it does.