Friday, March 2, 2012

Seed Collection & Hardiness Zones
Today was one of those days when you learn something you wish you hadn't.  I may be paying with time, a whole year's worth.  I wanted to collect the seeds from my white Bird of Paradise.  So, yesterday I took out the ladders and climbed up, cut all the Birds out of the plant.  I carefully cut one of the Birds apart looking for the seeds.  All that happened was I was that I made a sappy mess and no seeds could be found anywhere.  Soooo, today I looked it up again today, printed everything out on Birds of Paradise finding, harvesting, and planting the seeds.  Well.....one of the first things I noticed was that it said to leave the flowers alone on the plant until they begin to die off and the seed pod is tan and noticeable.  Uh oh, too late, I cut them off the plant.  I'll try leaving them sit on the table and see if the seed pods mature and I get seeds just in case.  Mistake made and lesson learned.  For any of you interested in this subject, here is a great link on the topic: How to Find Seeds for Bird of Paradise  Hopefully, my next experiment with collecting seeds is more fruitful.
Harvested Birds of Paradise

Destroyed Birds of Paradise

I chatted with my daughter and she told me that she was checking and rechecking her planting zone because one place said one zone and another gave her a different zone.  This got me to thinking, because I know every planting season I do the same thing.  I check my planting zone too.  I know my zone, but still I check it.  I don't know why but I  forget if I'm 9a or 9b and before it used to be zone 5 or 6.  I get brain dead or something.  Either way this conversation with her got me to thinking that we are not alone and many of us go through the same ritual.  Checking that zone map is the signal for us that we are ready to start our gardens.  To help you get the hint that planting season is nearly here for some and  already here for others, I'm giving you your zones.  If you click on the map it will take you directly to the official USDA plant hardiness website. 



No comments:

Post a Comment